Xylitol = Paws off!

Xylitol is a popular sweetner found in many products including:

  • sugar-free gums and candies

  • tootpasts and mouthwashes

  • baked goods and more

When ingested by Brittanys and other dogs, xylitol may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, internal bleeding, and in severe cases, liver failure! In most cases, symptoms develop within 15 to 30 minutes. However, there are some sugar-free gums tha delay the onset of symptoms for up to 12 hours. The ingestion of xylitor causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in your Brittany’s blood glucose. 
Learn more: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_xylitol_toxicity